Top Caliber Representation In Sophisticated Family Law Matters

Skilled Help With Post-Judgment Modifications

As life goes on after a divorce or issuance of a child custody order, individual and family circumstances are not set in stone but rather experience changes naturally and for various reasons. A child support, child custody or spousal support order may be subject to modification with a family court’s approval. Even property division may be readdressed if it is shown that either spouse failed to disclose all assets.

At Gladstone & Weissman, P.A., we help clients determine whether they have justification to petition a court to modify a court order or reopen divorce deliberations. At the same time, we are transparent about what the legal costs would be to bring such a petition and help clients decide whether it is cost-effective. Our family law attorneys have helped many people review, negotiate and litigate post-judgment issues and obtain modification of divorce decrees.

Court orders and aspects of divorce decrees that may be modifiable include:

Spousal support (also known as alimony): When the paying ex-spouse has had a significant reduction in income or the receiving ex-spouse has had a significant increase in assets, there may be grounds to propose a reduction of spousal support. Also, if the recipient spouse remarries or cohabits with a new partner, the other ex-spouse may be able to stop paying.

Child custody and/or child support: Either parent may have a change in work schedules, health or family circumstances that make a change in shared parenting necessary. If a child is experiencing abuse or neglect with either parent, there may also be grounds to seek a modification of a custody order. Child support is generally modifiable based on substantial changes in the income of either parent. However, the paying parent will need to demonstrate a good faith effort to keep paying as originally ordered before petitioning for a reduction in child support.

Property division: If hidden assets come to light, litigation may provide an opportunity to balance the score for a spouse who was negatively impacted by an incomplete division of assets. This can be expensive, but when hidden assets were substantial, it may be worthwhile to pursue.

A judge will typically make post-judgment modifications only if there has been a substantial, unforeseeable and permanent change in circumstance or clear evidence that assets were not fully disclosed during a divorce. However, support may sometimes be reduced for a limited time due to temporary job loss.

Learn More About Our High-End Services

Schedule a consultation with Gladstone & Weissman, P.A., to learn how we can help request modifications in a wide range of post-judgment issues. We regularly serve high-profile clients throughout South Florida. Call our offices in Boca Raton or Fort Lauderdale at 561-447-2274 or contact our firm online.